Have you been involved in a bicycle accident in Hampton Roads? You may have a right to pursue compensation from the person who hit you. While negotiating with insurance companies after a bicycle accident can quickly become stressful, you don’t have to do it alone. Lawyers Mike Deering and Chris Todd Hedrick can take on insurers and seek the accountability and compensation you deserve. We provide every client with compassionate, personalized service and tailor a legal strategy for their specific needs and goals.
Reach out to Deering Hedrick for a consultation to discuss how a Hampton Roads bike crash attorney from our firm can provide you with the experienced legal advocacy you need after an accident that wasn’t your fault.
Frequent Causes of Bike Crashes
Many bicycle accidents occur because drivers fail to share the road with cyclists or are otherwise reckless. Some of the most common causes of bike crashes include the following:
- Reckless driving behaviors, such as swerving through traffic
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Passing too closely to cyclists
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Turning or changing lanes without signaling or checking mirrors
- Driver inexperience
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
- Vehicle defects, including defective brakes or tires
- Poor weather or road conditions
Injuries Suffered by Cyclists in Bicycle Accidents
Cyclists have little protection in collisions with motor vehicles. As a result, they tend to suffer severe injuries, some of which are life-altering. Here are some of the most common injuries cyclists suffer in crashes:
- Abrasions and road rash
- Degloving injuries
- Broken bones
- Ligament sprains or tears
- Muscle and tendon strains or tears
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial injuries and eye damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Traumatic amputation or loss of limb
Financial Compensation Available in Your Bike Accident Claim
After a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation for expenses and losses you incurred as a result, including for:
- Repair or replacement expenses for your bicycle, bike helmet, and other damaged property
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Costs of long-term care for permanent disabilities that you suffer
- Loss of wages and income from missed work
- Loss of future income or lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced enjoyment and quality of life due to disabilities or permanent scarring and disfigurement
Why Choose Deering Hedrick to Help You with Your Case?
You deserve experienced legal counsel to help you seek full compensation after being injured in a bicycle accident. People throughout Hampton Roads turn to Deering Hedrick for advice and advocacy because:
- Attorneys Mike Deering and Chris Todd Hedrick are dedicated to fighting for the rights and interests of our clients.
- Our legal team has years of experience handling personal injury claims and litigating cases throughout the region.
- We take the time to understand our clients’ concerns and needs to build a tailored legal strategy aimed at obtaining the best possible results.
- We aggressively pursue maximum financial recovery, both at the negotiating table and in the courtroom.
How a Bike Accident Lawyer Can Benefit Your Compensation Claim
When you hire a bike accident lawyer from Deering Hedrick to represent you, you can expect our firm to work tirelessly on your behalf by:
- Investigating the crash and recovering evidence to build a solid case, such as accident scene photos, videos, police accident reports, traffic camera footage, and eyewitness statements
- Working with accident reconstruction experts to determine who caused the accident and is liable for your injuries
- Calculating your ongoing and future estimated losses to seek full compensation
- Preparing and filing insurance claims and demand letters on your behalf to put responsible parties on notice of your case
- Vigorously negotiating with insurers and opposing parties to try to reach a settlement that pays you fair compensation
- Filing lawsuits if litigation becomes necessary to demand maximum compensation for you
Steps You Should Take After a Bicycle Accident
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you can take the following steps to protect your rights to compensation:
- If you can, take photos and videos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, the license plate of the car that hit you, visible injuries you suffered, skid marks on the road, and traffic signs or signals.
- Seek immediate medical attention to allow a doctor to diagnose and treat your injuries.
- Follow your provider’s treatment plan and instructions, and keep all follow-up appointments.
- Collect your bills, invoices, medical records, pay stubs, and income statements to document your injuries and losses.
- Keep a diary or journal to record the pain and physical difficulties you experience because of your injuries.
Finally, speak with a bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible to review legal options for obtaining financial relief for your injuries and losses. The sooner you do so, the more your lawyer can do for you.
The Statute of Limitations on Bicycle Accident Lawsuits
In Virginia, the statute of limitations imposes a deadline for filing a lawsuit after a bicycle accident. You must file your lawsuit no later than two years after the accident to pursue compensation for injuries or five years after the accident to pursue compensation for property damage. In certain circumstances, the statute of limitations can be delayed or “tolled.” However, you should not wait to talk to a bicycle accident lawyer about your case. If you file your lawsuit after the deadline, the trial court will permanently dismiss your case, and you will lose your chance to seek compensation in civil court.
Contact a Bike Crash Attorney from Deering Hedrick for the Experienced Legal Advocacy You Need
Hurt in a bike crash in Virginia Beach, Norolk, Newport News, or elsewhere in Hampton Roads? Then contact Deering Hedrick today for a consultation with a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer. We can be reached by phone at 757-383-6848 or through our contact form, and we look forward to hearing from you. Initial consultations are free, so there’s no cost to learning more about your rights to financial recovery.