Being the victim of a pedestrian accident can change your life in the blink of an eye. You may suffer life-altering injuries that require costly medical care, prevent you from earning a living, and keep you from doing the things you love. You should not have to shoulder the burden of another person’s wrongful behavior. The pedestrian accident lawyers at Deering Hedrick can help you pursue the compensation and accountability you deserve.
Our Hampton Roads pedestrian accident attorneys can evaluate your case and help you pursue financial relief for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering from a pedestrian accident. Contact us today for a free consultation and let attorneys Mike Deering and Chris Todd Hedrick advocate for your rights and interests.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are often caused by driver error, although many other factors could contribute to a collision. The most common causes of pedestrian accidents include the following:
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failing to yield at crosswalks and intersections
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to use mirrors and indicators when turning or backing up
- Driver inexperience
- Obstructions to a driver’s vision
- Poor visibility
- Tire or brake failure or unintended vehicle acceleration caused by defects or poor maintenance
- Unsafe road or intersection design or lack of road maintenance, such as non-functioning traffic signals
What Injuries Can Pedestrians Suffer in Collisions with Motor Vehicles?
Because pedestrians have no protection from the force of a collision with a motor vehicle, they often suffer severe or life-threatening injuries, such as:
- Lacerations, abrasions, and road rash
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament, tendon, and muscle strains, sprains, and tears
- Herniated spinal discs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputation
- Facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
What Compensation Can You Recover in a Pedestrian Accident Claim?
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident that someone else caused, you could be entitled to compensation for your subsequent expenses and losses, including for:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation
- Costs of long-term care and support for permanent disabilities
- Loss of wages and income from missed work
- Loss of future income and earning potential due to disability
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress or suffering
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life due to disabilities or permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Reduced life expectancy caused by your injuries and resulting disabilities
Why Turn to Deering Hedrick for Help After a Pedestrian Accident
When you turn to Deering Hedrick for help after a pedestrian accident, you can rest assured we will do everything we can in our pursuit of the compensation you deserve. People across Hampton Roads turn to us for help with their cases because:
- Attorneys Mike Deering and Chris Todd Hedrick are thoughtful, aggressive negotiators and litigators who work tirelessly to seek fair compensation for our clients.
- We take the time to discuss every client’s concerns and needs so we can prepare a strategy tailored to their case.
- We work hard to offer compassionate, personal service and make every client feel valued.
- We have successfully handled a wide range of cases throughout the region.
What Can a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Do for You?
After a devastating pedestrian accident, you should have the time and space to focus on your medical treatment and rehabilitation. While you do that, a pedestrian accident lawyer can handle the details of your case, including the following:
- Investigating the crash to secure helpful evidence
- Determining who is liable for your injuries and applicable insurance coverage
- Retaining expert witnesses to provide persuasive testimony to strengthen your case
- Documenting your injuries and losses to pursue full compensation
- Filing your claims and handling any necessary paperwork
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters and other parties on your behalf to try to settle your case
- Seeking maximum compensation for you, whether at the negotiating table or through a trial
What Do You Need to Do After Suffering Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident
You can take certain steps after a pedestrian accident to preserve your legal rights to seek compensation, including the following:
- Document the accident scene by taking photos or videos of any visible injuries you suffered, damage to the vehicle that hit you, skid marks on the road, and traffic controls.
- See a doctor or medical provider as soon as possible to obtain a diagnosis of injuries you sustained in the collision.
- Follow your provider’s treatment plan and instructions, and do not put off or cancel treatment or rehabilitation appointments.
- Report the accident to your car insurance provider.
- Keep copies of bills and invoices for expenses.
- Gather your income statements and request your medical records and copies of any police accident reports.
- Start journaling your recovery from the accident, including pain and difficulties with daily activities that you experience.
Finally, contact a pedestrian accident lawyer from Deering Hedrick to learn more about your options for pursuing compensation against the driver or other parties who caused your injuries.
The Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accident Claims
Virginia’s statute of limitations sets a deadline for filing a lawsuit after a pedestrian accident. Typically, you must file your lawsuit within two years of the accident or risk having the court permanently dismiss your case. If that happens, you may lose your right to seek compensation from the at-fault driver in civil court. Moreover, the sooner you get started on the case, the more critical evidence may still be available. With so much at stake, you should not wait to speak to a pedestrian accident lawyer about pursuing your claim.
Contact Deering Hedrick Today for Dedicated Legal Representation from a Knowledgeable Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Hurt in a pedestrian accident in Hampton Roads? Then call Deering Hedrick today at 757-383-6848 or fill out our contact form for a consultation to learn more about your legal options. We can advocate for your right to the financial relief and justice you deserve for an accident that wasn’t your fault.