Have you been injured in a car accident in the Hampton Roads area? If someone else was to blame, you have the right to demand they compensate you for the expenses and losses they caused you. You deserve experienced legal representation to help you maximize your financial relief after you are injured in a collision. Turn to the car accident lawyers of Deering Hedrick for seasoned advocacy and advice.
For over a decade, Deering Hedrick has represented the rights and interests of car wreck victims throughout Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Newport News. Attorneys Mike Deering and Chris Todd Hedrick have dedicated themselves to pursuing justice and compensation for clients injured in auto accidents. Our firm’s commitment to excellent client service and legal representation is reflected in the numerous awards and honors our attorneys have earned, including Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Virginia Beach by Expertise.com. When you choose us to handle your case, our focus will always be on your needs and concerns. We are ready to stand up to the insurance companies to seek accountability and compensation for the harm you have suffered.
Reach out to Deering Hedrick for an initial case evaluation with a car accident attorney in Hampton Roads. Our firm can aggressively pursue the financial relief you deserve for your medical care, lost income, and pain and suffering after being injured by another driver.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Our Virginia Beach, VA, car accident lawyers can handle cases stemming from the following common causes:
- Reckless driving, including racing, excessive speeding, or swerving around traffic
- Tailgating or following too closely
- Disregarding traffic signs and signals
- Failing to use turn signals or mirrors
- Intoxicated driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving, including cell phone use, eating, drinking, adjusting the radio, or talking to passengers
- Driver inexperience
- Mechanical failure caused by poor vehicle maintenance or vehicle defects
- Adverse weather conditions
- Poor road conditions
Injuries Suffered by Victims of Car Crashes
Traffic collisions often result in the following injuries:
- Lacerations, abrasions, and cuts
- Contusions and bruising
- Dislocated joints
- Nerve damage
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Muscle and tendon strains and tears
- Bone fractures
- Herniated spinal discs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Facial injuries
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injury
- Amputations or loss of limb
A Chesapeake, VA, car accident attorney could help you seek compensation if you or a loved one suffered any of these injuries in an accident someone else caused.
What Options for Compensation Do You Have After a Car Accident?
You might have several options for pursuing compensation for your expenses and losses, depending on the circumstances of the collision. A Norfolk, VA, car accident lawyer could help you pursue compensation through any of these avenues:
- Filing a claim against the driver who caused the accident, the owner of the driver’s vehicle, or the driver’s or owner’s liability insurance coverage
- Pursuing a liability claim against the at-fault driver’s employer if the accident occurred while the driver was working
- Pursuing claims against vehicle or auto part manufacturers for a car accident caused by vehicle or car part defects
- Filing a lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault driver or another responsible party or entity
Financial Recovery Available in a Car Accident Claim
You may be entitled to recover compensation for financial and other losses after a crash that was not your fault. A Portsmouth, VA, car accident lawyer could help you pursue money for:
- Vehicle repair costs or reimbursement of the value of your car if it was totaled in the crash
- Medical expenses, including hospital care, surgeries, prescription medications, doctor’s appointments, and physical therapy
- Costs of care for long-term permanent disability or physical impairment, including home health services or purchases of medical and mobility equipment
- Loss of wages and income due to missed work or reduced earnings if you must work part-time or on light duty
- Loss of future income and earning potential caused by permanent disability
- Physical pain and anguish
- Emotional trauma and distress from the accident and subsequent recovery
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life due to physical disability, visible scarring, disfigurement, or reduced life expectancy caused by your injuries
Why Choose Deering Hedrick to Help You with Your Car Accident Case?
After a car crash, you need a compassionate, dedicated advocate who will tirelessly pursue maximum compensation for your injuries and losses. Standing up to the insurance companies to demand justice and accountability can be stressful. However, you don’t have to do it alone. Accident victims across Hampton Roads turn to Deering Hedrick for help because:
- Attorneys Mike Deering and Chris Todd Hedrick have years of experience advocating for the rights and interests of car accident victims.
- Our legal team regularly litigates cases in courtrooms throughout the region.
- We take an aggressive approach when fighting for maximum compensation – at the negotiating table, in mediation, or in court, if necessary.
- We take the time to get to know you, understand your needs and goals, and use our legal knowledge and experience to develop tailored case strategies with the goal of achieving the best possible results.
- Our firm takes a compassionate, personable approach to our clients. We want them to feel like they have a partner throughout the legal process.
What Does an Attorney Do in a Car Accident Claim?
Let a Hampton Roads car accident attorney from Deering Hedrick handle all the details of preparing and pursuing your case while you focus on your treatment and rehabilitation. Our firm will vigorously advocate for your financial recovery by doing the following:
- Investigating the crash to secure evidence such as police crash reports, eyewitness statements, surveillance or traffic camera footage, and vehicle event data recorder logs
- Reviewing the evidence in collaboration with accident reconstruction and engineering experts to determine who should be held liable for your injuries
- Documenting your expenses and losses and identifying available insurance coverages
- Discussing your legal options with you and answering your questions about what to expect throughout the claims process
- Filing insurance claims and demand letters on your behalf to begin pursuing financial recovery for you
- Aggressively negotiating with the insurance companies to try to reach a fair settlement of your case
- Taking your claims to court and trial when litigation becomes necessary to demand the best possible result for you
What Steps Should You Take After Suffering Injury in a Car Crash?
Taking the following steps can protect your rights to pursue compensation after being injured in a car accident in Virginia Beach or elsewhere in Hampton Roads:
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, preferably right after the crash. Document details such as vehicle damage, visible injuries you suffered, skid marks, traffic signs or signals, visual obstructions, and conditions such as the weather, lighting, and traffic.
- Report the accident to the authorities and your car insurance provider.
- Seek prompt medical attention to get evaluated and have your injuries diagnosed and treated.
- Follow your doctor’s or healthcare provider’s treatment plan and instructions. Do not put off treating your injuries or cancel follow-up appointments.
- Request copies of the police accident report and your medical records from your treatment.
- Gather any bills, invoices, or receipts of expenses from the accident. Collect your pay stubs, income statements, or tax returns to calculate your lost income if you’ve missed time from work.
- Start a journal to document the recovery process, recording the pain and physical difficulties you experience due to your injuries and medical treatment or rehabilitation.
- Avoid discussing the accident, your injuries, or your case on social media. Also, avoid posting or being tagged in any photos or videos while treating and rehabilitating your injuries.
Finally, talk to a Virginia Beach car accident attorney with Deering Hedrick as soon as possible to get started on putting your case together to seek financial relief for your injuries and losses.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accident Cases
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we get about car accident cases.
Do I need a car accident lawyer if I want an insurance settlement?
You should work with a car accident lawyer even if you only want to obtain a settlement from the insurance company rather than file a lawsuit. Insurance adjusters have considerable experience convincing injured claimants to accept less than the full value of their car accident claims. A car crash attorney will have the knowledge and skills to investigate your claims, document your anticipated losses, and communicate with the insurance company to aggressively pursue maximum compensation for you in a settlement.
Should I agree to give the insurance company a recorded or written statement?
You should decline to provide an insurance adjuster with a recorded or written statement or answer any questions about the accident or your injuries until you consult a car accident lawyer. Adjusters are trained to ask you questions in such a way as to elicit responses that, taken out of context, can be used by the insurance company to argue against your claim. Instead, you should let your car accident lawyer talk to the insurance company on your behalf. Your lawyer can provide the insurer with the information it needs to process your claim while also protecting you from fishing expeditions by an insurer looking for information it can use to undercut your claim.
How long do I have to file a car accident lawsuit?
Under Virginia’s statute of limitations, you usually have only two years to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for injuries you suffered in a car accident and five years to file a lawsuit for vehicle or property damage sustained in the crash. Filing a lawsuit after the statutory deadline makes it likely that the court will permanently dismiss your case. This means you will lose your chance to seek compensation in civil court.
You may have less time to file a car accident claim from a crash with a government vehicle. Under Virginia’s Tort Claims Act, you must provide the Commonwealth with notice of your car accident claim arising from a crash with a government vehicle within one year of the accident. For car accidents involving county or municipal vehicles, Virginia law requires you to provide the county or city with notice of your claim within six months of the accident. Failing to notify the government of your claim may bar you from recovering compensation unless an appropriate agency or officer has actual notice of the car accident within the notice period. Such officers might include the Virginia Division of Risk Management, the Attorney General of Virginia, or the executive officer or attorney of a county or city.
How long will my car accident claim take?
No attorney can predict how long it may take to resolve your car accident claim. Various factors will affect the timeline of a case. Some car accident cases may settle within a few months, while others can take a couple of years to reach trial. The factors that can influence how long it takes you to recover compensation after a car crash include the following:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether you experience any permanent disability from your injuries
- The extent of your financial losses, including vehicle repair or replacement costs, medical expenses, and lost income or earning potential
- The available insurance coverage, including coverages available under your car insurance policy
- Whether multiple people suffered injuries in the accident
- Whether numerous parties share liability for the accident
- Whether you share any fault for causing the crash
- The complexity of the evidence
- The strength of your case
- Whether you need to file a lawsuit
- The availability and schedule of the trial court
Contact Deering Hedrick for an Experienced Legal Advocate Who Will Fight for Your Financial Recovery
Want to learn more about how a knowledgeable Hampton Roads car accident lawyer from our firm can help you pursue compensation after a crash? Then reach out to Deering Hedrick today for a free consultation. Call us at 757-383-6848 or fill out our contact form on our website. Let us advocate on your behalf to demand accountability and justice from those parties responsible for the accident and your injuries.