Everyone makes mistakes. However, when someone is behind the wheel, errors can cause serious injuries and cost lives. Driver error is the most prevalent cause of car accidents in the Commonwealth.
Driver Error in Virginia Car Crashes
According to data from the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Commonwealth of Virginia sees well over 100,000 car accidents every year. These collisions lead to over 60,000 injuries and over 800 deaths annually. These accidents occur for a wide variety of reasons, but one cause stands out among the others: driver error.
Examples of driver errors that can cause accidents include:
- Improper lane changes – When a driver fails to signal or check their mirrors before changing lanes, they may sideswipe an unsuspecting road user.
- Failure to yield – Failure to yield to oncoming traffic is a traffic violation that’s inherently dangerous. When a driver fails to yield, the oncoming cars may be traveling at a speed that can cause an accident that leads to devastating injuries.
- Following too closely – If a driver does not leave enough room for the vehicle in front of their own, they greatly increase the chances of a collision if the other vehicle needs to stop abruptly.
- Improper turns – Drivers who attempt a turn from an inappropriate lane or who fail to signal before turning may place themselves in the trajectory of oncoming traffic.
- Running a red light or stop sign – Whether due to hastiness, lack of awareness, or misjudgment, drivers who run red lights put other road users and pedestrians in grave danger.
When you suffer injuries in an accident due to driver error, you can file a claim to hold the at-fault driver accountable for their negligence. An experienced Virginia Beach car accident attorney can help recover compensation for your injury-related losses.
Other Common Causes of Car Accidents in Virginia
While driver error makes up about 30 percent of all automobile collisions in the Commonwealth, other causes lead to injury as well, including:
- Speeding – In a recent year, exceeding the speed limit led to nearly 13,000 injuries and 445 deaths on Virginia roads and highways.
- Distracted Driving – Driver distractions lead to over 11,000 accident-related injuries each year. Distractions include operating a cell phone, rubbernecking, and other instances in which the driver’s eyes, focus, or hands are not on the road.
- DUI – Alcohol plays a role in about six percent of road accidents in Virginia. However, driving under the influence accounts for over a quarter of all traffic-related deaths. This statistic reflects the high fatality rate of accidents involving drunk drivers.
How a Virginia Beach Car Accident Attorney Can Help
If you have suffered injuries in a car accident, you may be facing overwhelming medical bills, lost wages due to missed time at work, and other injury-related expenses. If someone else’s wrongdoing caused your injuries, an experienced Virginia car crash lawyer can help you take the necessary steps to pursue the compensation you deserve. The legal team at Deering Hedrick can investigate the cause of the accident to determine who was at fault, negotiate with the insurance company, and represent you in court if necessary.
Contact Deering Hedrick Today
The compassionate and experienced car accident attorney, Mike Deering, understands how challenging life after a car accident can be. Mike is committed to protecting the interests of injured Virginians. At Deering Hedrick, we will take care of the legal complexities of your case so that you can focus on your recovery. Call our offices today at 757-383-6848 or contact us online for a consultation to learn more about how we can help you.